WHAT ARE WE CALLING FOR?
Every London borough and electoral ward is different, and the London Cycling Campaign has identified a key action in each of London’s 624 wards, that would help create Safe Space for Cycling in that area.
You can find out what we are calling for in your area here.
These actions fall into six main categories:
- Removal of through motor traffic
- Fast or heavy through traffic makes residential streets inhospitable for cycling. We're calling on council election candidates to support the removal of through motor traffic from residential streets in order to create safe Space for Cycling. Bollards and planters are an inexpensive way to remove non-local motor traffic, creating a safe environment in which to live, cycle and walk. Local residents will still be able to access their properties by car, and deliveries and refuse collections will be unaffected.
- Protected space on main roads
and at junctions
- Main roads are often the worst places for cycling, because of fast moving and heavy traffic, yet they are crucial to so many journeys in London. We're calling on council election candidates to support the creation of protected cycles lanes, and the redesign of major junctions, to create safe Space for Cycling on main roads.
- 20mph speed limits
- Reducing motor traffic speeds is proven to prevent death and serious injuries to cyclists and pedestrians alike, especially children, with little impact on most journey times. We're calling on council election candidates to support 20mph speed limits in residential streets to create a less dangerous and intimidating street environment that provides safe Space for Cycling.
- Safe cycle routes to schools
- Bringing up London’s kids to be healthy, independent adults is one of the most important things we can do, and helping them to cycle is one of the best ways to do it. We're calling on council election candidates to support the creation of safe cycle routes to schools, so children and parents have the Space for Cycling they need to enjoy making the school run by bike.
- Cycle-friendly town centres
- London’s town centres and high streets are the pulse of every borough. By making them safer and easier to reach and explore by bike, we can build a more prosperous and ‘liveable’ London. We're calling on council election candidates to support the creation of safe Space for Cycling in and around town centres and high streets, giving Londoners the opportunity to visit the shops and local amenities by cycle.
- Cycle routes through parks
and green spaces
- London has many parks and wonderful green spaces. They are perfect places for cycling – particularly for children, families and the elderly - yet too many don’t provide good space for cycling. Considerate cyclists and pedestrians can happily get along together with the right facilities, which is why we're calling on council election candidates to support the creation and improvement of accessible Space for Cycling through parks and green spaces.